Welcome to Healthy Gardens, Healthy Youth
The “Healthy Gardens, Healthy Youth” People’s Garden School Pilot Project is an Extension partnership that aims to engage more than 4,000 elementary students in creating vegetable & fruit gardens in 54 low-income schools, as part of a 2.5-year research study. Key partners include:
- Washington State University Extension
- Cornell University Cooperative Extension
- Iowa State University Extension and Outreach, and
- University of Arkansas Extension.
The randomized study, led by Nancy Wells, Dept. of Design and Environmental Analysis, Cornell University, will examine the effects of school gardens on the students’ fruit and vegetables consumption, and other educational outcomes.
- Increase Fruit and Vegetable Consumption
- Empower Youth in their Communities
- Contribute Toward a Sustainable Environment and Food System
- Build a National Network
Click here for more project background.